'PORTUGUESE' DINGHY

'PORTUGUESE' DINGHY
My first build (2007) - designed by Hannu Vartiaala (Hannu's Boatyard)

Sunday 12 January 2014

Golant Gaffer

Up near (or even currently at) the top of my list of 'possibles' for the post-retirement build is Roger Dongray's Golant Gaffer design.  There's a bit more info on the Classic Marine website here:

http://www.classicmarine.co.uk/details.asp?Name=Golant+Gaffer

Given my height (I'm 6'4"/195cm), I had some concerns about the sitting headroom in the cabin and how much back support the cockpit coamings offered. I was keen to see a GG in the flesh, so to speak, and put out a request on the Wooden Boat Forum.  Paul, the owner and builder of Blue Moon, very kindly offered to let me look her over and go out for a short sail.

What a beautiful small boat:


Paul built her with a raised (by about 4") coachroof, which he designed himself after consulting with Roger Dongray.  I think that the aesthetics are superb.  From the point of view of my concerns, she had ample sitting headroom in the cabin and the coamings were just the right height and angle.

We went out for a couple of hours sail down Chichester Harbour - great fun; she is a sweet-handling boat.

So the GG is till up there on my list.  Thanks Paul !

No comments:

Post a Comment