'PORTUGUESE' DINGHY

'PORTUGUESE' DINGHY
My first build (2007) - designed by Hannu Vartiaala (Hannu's Boatyard)

Saturday 4 October 2014

Daggerboard

The daggerboard diagram in the Sunfish class rules was much easier than the rudder one to take accurate dimensions from:





 I did have to take into account, however, that the distance between deck and bottom of hull (given as 13 3/8" for the Sunfish above) is different in the Moonfish.

Once I had the outline dimensions, I laminated two sheets of 12mm ply together using epoxy thickened with silica spread pretty thinly after prepping the boards with neat epoxy to prevent soakaway weakening the join.  I then marked and cut out the blank with a jigsaw, using a thin Starrett blade and drilled holes to get around the curves accurately:




This was then planed accurately to size all round, before marking out both the thickness and the depth of the foil edges:





These were then all planed, Sureformed and sanded back to the marks.  In doing this, I came upon quite a few voids in the ply laminations (but not in my glueline !) which I filled with filler and sanded back.  I lived to regret this later !  Sorry, no pics of the foil at this stage !

I did this work quite early on in the project, as the plans were very clear that the Sunfish foil was differently sized to the Moonfish ones and that the box in the central 'girder' of the frame had to be built to the revised dimensions.  The work this far gave me the dimensions I needed, so I left work on the daggerboard there until the end of the project when I finished off both foils.

No comments:

Post a Comment